Monday, May 06, 2013

Audrey, a sweater for my Mom

After attending the NY Sheep and Wool Festival last October, my view of yarn has completely changed. This was the first time that I considered the animals that provided the fiber of my life. I LOVE wool in every shape and form. It must be in my Scottish blood. I met face to face with Blue Faced Leicester, and it changed my life.

I bought "The Audrey" kit in Celadon sport weight from Lisa Souza Knitwear and dyeworks. It was candy for the hands and the eyes. Soft and gently hand dyed with a delightful leaf border on the sleeve, collar and bottom edge. It was a dream to knit, although I have to admit that I altered the pattern. I did not like how the top of the sleeve turned out, so I ripped it back and reworked.

It took about 3 months to make, and I finally met Mom in Rhinebeck at the Beekman Arms and gave it to her over a delightful lunch. I hope she likes it and wears in good health!

The weather was perfect, so we explored a bit and ended up at Wilderstein Historic site for a lovely tour of the restored home of Daisy Suckley, a little piece of heaven overlooking the Hudson River. The tour guide was very interesting and knowledgeable. It was an peek into a lifestyle of another time. I am glad I got to share it with Mom.

The Hudson Valley Antique Auto Association had there show the same weekend, so there was eye candy of another kind in the parking lot, a 1931 Ford (not in original colors). It was the source of great interest. Unfortunately I was not fast enough to get a photo of the 50s pink Cadillac.

No comments: